This podi or spicy mix powder is very famous in southern parts of India.It is perfect companion to Idli and dosa, I regularly make this spicy mix powder and love to marinate Idli with ghee and this podi (spicy mix) and sometimes I sprinkle this spicy powder over baby potatoes (boiled and shallow fried )and enjoy the awesomeness 😜.
- Whole Red chilies-12 to 15 or 100 grams
- Chana dal or bengal gram-100 grams
- Urad dal-100 grams
- Flexseeds-1 /2 tbsp
- Sesame-1/2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds-1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Black peppers-5 to 6
- Curry leaves -3 to 4 sprigs
- Asafoeitida-1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sesame oil or cooking oil-1 tsp
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan on medium low flame ,add the Chana dal and urad dal and roast it until they turn golden brown ,keep aside to cool .
- Now heat 1/2 tsp oil again and roast the red chili and add asafoeitida ,roast it for a while .(do not roast chilies too much otherwise it will turn black)
- Then toast coriander seeds ,cumin and black peppers for a minute then add curry leaves,toast it for 30 seconds then add flaxseeds and Sesame seeds ,toast it for 20-30 seconds.Turn off the flame.
- Take a blender or mixer ,put all roasted ingredients in to it ,add salt and coarsely grind all ingredients.
- Let it cool completely, store this powder in an air tight container,it will keep for months.
- You can enjoy this podi or spices mix with Idli ,dosa or rice too.
- You can increase or decrease the quantity of red chili and salt or other ingredients according to your tastebuds.
Happy cooking !!