Aloo Tikki is one of the most popular street food of India ,aloo tikkis are made different ways in every region of Indian ,today I am preparing pithiwali aloo tikkis .Pithiwali aloo Tikkis are stuffed with spicy dal mixture and pan fried till crisp and brown .
For Aloo Tikki Covering-
- Potatoes-2 medium (Boiled and peeled)
- Rice Flour -1 tbsp
- Poha -1/4 cup
- Cilentro-1 tbsp(Finelyo chopped)
- Ginger-1/2 tsp (grated)
- Red chili powder-1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds-1/4tsp
- fennel seeds-a little
- salt -to taste
- oil-1 tsp(potato dough)
- oil – cup (tikki 3/4 part should be in oil)
For Filling –
- Gram dal or Chana dal- 1/2 cup (soaked and boiled )
- Mint leaves -1/2 tbsp(finely chopped)
- Green chili -1to 2 (finely chopped)
- Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/4 tsp
- Aamchur powder-1/4 tsp
- Chatmasala-1/2 tsp
- Black salt – to taste
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- oil – 1/2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds powder -1/4 tsp (coarse)
- Soak the dal for 2 hours,then boil it in a pan along with turmeric and salt for 15 -20 minutes.
- Grate boiled and peeled potatoes and sprinkle the rice flour ,mix a little.(Make sure don’t mash it )
- To activate the poha (flattened rice ) add little bit of water ,keep a side for 10-15 minutes,then sprinkle the activated poha over the potatoes and rice mixture,mix gentle and don’t mash it (don’t add salt Now ) ,cover the lid and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare filling mixture- heat oil (1tsp) in a pan ,add asafoeitida,cumin ,cook till cumin starts to pop ,then add green chili ,grated ginger ,saute for a minute. Now this point, will add boiled gram dal ,black salt ,aamchur powder ,cumin powder,coriander,mint leaves,fennel powder and sprinkle little water and cook for 5 -7 minutes .then turn off the flame to cool down a bit .finally mash everything together .
- Now take potatoes mixture ,you will notice mixture becomes very dry , now you mash everything together throughly and make a dough of it .
- Take some dough in your hands and roll it like a ball .
- Flattened the ball by using hands (apply little oil on your hands )
- Add 1 tbsp mixture in the center ,start bringing all the sides together and seal the potato ball from all sides making it look like a big tennis shaped ball .
- Gently flatten the ball
- Raw aloo Tikki are shaped and ready to be fried or toasted.
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame ,level of oil while frying the Tikki should be 3/4 of the Tikki.
- Fry Tikki well ,Don’t flip more than 2-3 times let the heat penetrate the patties itself.fry them until it’s golden brown.
- Serve this pithiwali aloo Tikki with Green Chutney,tamarind sweet Chutney ,curd and some chat masala .
- You can roast it with very little oil but I have used to more oil to make little more crisper
- You can use bread crumbs and corn flour too as binding agent and to make Tikki crispy but using rice flour and rice flakes (poha) ,Tikki will become very crisper.