Kache kela ka kofta is one of popular kofta curry made with plantain fried dumplings or kofta served with flavorful and rich sauce ,kofta is something that generally made during special celebrations,festival or occasion because it is very rich ,made with cream and cashew nut ,but instead of cream I have used coconut milk to make more healthier and vegan .
For Dumplings or koftas-
- Plantains or Raw banana-2 (boiled and peeled)
- Potato -1 small (boiled and peeled)
- Onion- 1 small (finely chopped)
- Ginger- Grated 1/2 tsp
- Green chili -1 to 2 (finely chopped)
- Besan -2 tbsp
- cilentro -1/2 tbsp( finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds-1/4tsp
- Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder-1/2 tsp
- salt (little )
- Cooking oil-for deep frying
For gravy –
- Ginger-garlic paste -1/2 tbsp
- Onion – 1 Medium
- Tomato Puree -1/2 Cup
- Coconut milk -1/3 cup + 1tbsp
- cashew nuts -8 to 10
- cumin seeds-1/2 tsp +1/4 tsp
- whole dry Masala-1small piece of cinnamon,1-2 cardamoms,2 cloves,1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- kasmiri mirch -1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder -1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala -1/2 tsp
- Sugar a pinch
- Asafoeitida a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Water 2-3 cups (as needed)
- Cooking oil -2 tbsp
- For koftas or Dumplings- Grate boiled bananas and potato,add chopped onion,grated ginger ,chopped green chili,cumin seeds,aamchur powder,coriander powder ,Besan ,salt (add little only ) and chopped cilantro .
- Mix well and make 10-12 round Dumplings.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and deep fry the balls on medium low flame until golden brown.strain them on absorbent paper and keep aside .
- For Gravy-Heat oil(1tbsp) in a pan ,add cumin ,When it starts crackle then add cardamoms,cinnamon,cloves, fennel seeds and sauté for 20-30 seconds then add ginger -garlic paste ,sauté for 10 seconds , add onion and salt (little) sauté till it get brown.turn off the flame . Keep aside to cool ,once it cool transfer It on blender jar and add Little water ,blend it to make smooth paste .
- Heat oil in a pan(1tbsp) ,add asafoeitida then add turmeric and Kashmiri chili powder and sauté for 10 seconds then add prepared onion paste ,mix well then add coriander powder and cumin powder ,sauté for 2-3 minutes then add tomato puree ,mix well and cover the lid for 4-5 minutes or until the mixture leaves leaves oil by the sides.
- Meanwhile add cashew nut and coconut milk in a blender to make smooth paste of it .
- remove the lid from the gravy and addprepared cashew -coconut milk paste and garam masala ,mix well and cover the lid for 2-3 minutes again .
- Now add water and simmer the gravy ,covered for about 5-10 minutes until the desired consistency is reached .
- Remove the cover and add salt (to taste ) and sugar ,mix well and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- add chopped cilentro and turn off the flame .
- Pour hot gravy over the Dumplings just before serving and serve hot with a fresh cream or cashew -coconut milk paste. Garnished it with chopped cilentro.
- You can have it with paratha ,lachha paratha or phulkas .
- You can add grated cottage cheese along with raw banana to make koftas.
- You can add cream instead of coconut milk.