Rava Idli is one of the easy and healthy breakfast recipe from southern part of India but popular in every part of India .It can be enjoyed as breakfast,snacks or light meal .It is full of goodness of dal ,spicesness and veggies .
- Rava(suji )coarse – 1 Cup
- Curd(Thick) -1/3 cup
- Carrot(Grated)- 2 tbsp
- Bell peppers (colored)-2tbsp
- Cilentro-1Tbsp(Finely Chopped)
- Ginger(grated)- 1/2 tsp
- Green chili – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Cashew -3 to4 ( broken in to halves)
- Chana dal (gram lentil)- 1tsp
- Urad dal (white dal)-1 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-One Sprig
- Asafoeitida a pinch
- Eno fruit salt -1 tsp(or 1tsp baking soda+1 tsp lemon juice)
- salt to taste
- Water-1 Cup +2-3 tbsp
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp+1/2 tbsp
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan ,add mustard seeds ,when they start to crackle add cumin seeds ,asafoeitida,urad dal ,Chana dal and sauté till dal turn light brown in color . Now add cashew nuts and curry leaves and sauté for 20-30 seconds.
- Add rava on it and mix well .
- Roast it on medium flame until it turn light brown ,when it done .Turn off the flame and transfer it to a mixing bowl . Allow it to cool.
- when it cool properly,add curd ,green chili ,ginger ,water(1cup)and salt in roasted rava mixture bowl ,mix well and make sure that there are no lumps .
- Now add carrot ,bell peppers and cilantro and mix well .Keep batter aside for 20-30 minutes ( warm place or inside the oven).
- Meanwhile prepare steamer ,pour 1 1/2 cups water in steamer and heat over medium flame . Grease Idli molds with oil .
- Now take batter and add eno ( baking soda with lemon juice) on it,mix a little for 30 ,seconds,you will notice bubble on the surface of a batter.
- Pour batter in greased molds and steam it on medium flame for 12 -15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes turn off flame and remove molds from steamer ,when it cool down bit ,remove Idli from it .
- Repeat same process for another batch if your mixture is still
- Serve This Rava Idli with sambhar or coconut or or cucumber Chutney.
- Skip green chili if you are cooking for kids.
- You can add zucchini,cabbage and corn too in rava batter.
- After adding eno in batter ,stir well but not over for 30 seconds and immediately pour it in to molds otherwise Idli will not be soft and spongy.
- steam it on a medium flame .