Cucumbers are rich in two most basic elements needed for health digestion :water and fiber. I always use cucumbers in salad or raita and never thought about another options as I have tried cucumber soup and but I didn’t like the soupy taste of cucumber but this cucumber Chutney recipe is just awesome .
- Cucumber-2(seedless baby cucumbers)
- Green chili -2 to 4or Dried red chili 1-2
- Ginger-Garlic paste -1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds-1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds-1/6 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2tsp
- Urad dal(whit lentil) -1 /2 tbsp
- Chana dal – 1 /2 tbsp
- Curry leaves -one sprig
- Cooking oil-1 tbsp(coconut oil )
- Tamarind -1 tbsp ( 25 to 30 gems)
- Asafoeitida- 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
For Tempering –
- Cooking oil-1 tbsp (coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Urad dal -1 tsp
- Curry Leaves-one sprig
- Wash cucumbers and green chili and cut them in to small pieces.( I didn’t peel the cucumbers because I used baby once)
- Soak the tamarind in the hot water for 15-20 minutes ,then mash tamarind in water to make pulp.
- Now heat oil in a pan on medium flame ,add asafoeitida,mustard seeds,fenugreek seed ,cumin seeds ,when its crackle add urad dal and Chana dal, after 10 seconds add curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste ,sauté for 10 seconds.
- Now add cut cucumbers and green chili ,Mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add tamarind pulp and salt to taste and cover the lid for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and keep aside from the stove to cool down ,once it cool down completely,transfer it in to a blender jar and blend till it get smooth in texture .
- For tempering-Heat oil In a pan ,add mustard seeds then cumin seeds ,curry leaves and urad dal and sauté till it crackle.Tempring is ready .
- Now take cucumber chutney out from the blender in to a serving bowl and pour tempering over it .
- Garnished it with cilentro or parsley ,serve it with idli or with any parathas or as a side condiment .
- You can dry roast cumin seeds,mustard seeds ,fenugreek seed ,curry leaves and urad and Chana dal and add raw green chili and cucumber (this could be one of the heathiest ways to enjoy cucumbers since they are not cooked ,means no loss of nutrients.
- You can store it on fridge for 2-3 days (in a air tight container.)