Serving -4 people
Time -40 mins
Kashmiri Sahi Dum-Aloo
- 8 baby potatoes(peeled and par-boiled)
- 4 shallots (peeled)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup tomatoe purée
- 10-12 cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup cream or thick curd
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp – kasuri methi
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 4tbsp cooking oil (3tbsp+1tpsp butter or ghee)
- 1/4 asafoeitda
- whole masala (1/4 tsp cumin ,2 green cardomon ,1/2 inch cinnamon stick,1/4 mace ,3 cloves)
- salt to taste
- Prick the potatoes with fork all over and take shallot and garlic cloves too in a bowl ,marinate it with little turmeric ,sea salt ,red chili powder and 1 tsp curd .keep it aside for 10 minutes .
- Shallow fry it on a medium heat for 5 minutes .keep it aside .
- Heat a pan ,add oil in to the pan .Let the oil heat.
- Now add asafoetid .whole garam masla and fry it for 10 seconds and cashew ,fry it for 10 seconds .now add ginger-garlic paste fry it for a minute.
- now add onion ,fry it till get soften (you can add little salt to get onion soften soon ) ,add tomato purée and fry for 30 seconds.
- Turn off the flame and let fried ingredients cool down.take out in to blending jar and blend it in to smooth paste .
- now add 1tsp butter in the same pan, add cumin seeds.let it splutter ,now add turmeric and and Kashmiri red chili powder in to hot oil ,it will enhance the color of gravy ,add Kasuri methi in hot oil too fry it for 5 seconds it will enhance the taste of gravy .
- now add onion- tomatoes purée masala paste in to pan and fry it along with turmeric and red chili powder for 5-6 minutes then add coriander powder ,cumin powder ,black pepper powder and fennel seeds powder ,mix it properly .Fry it till oil separates from masala paste .
- Now simmer the flame and add curd or cream in to it and stir it continuously .Cover the pan ,fry masala on a low flame for 2-3 minutes .
- Add 2 cups of water and stir (add more or less water according to your preference) and sugar too .
- now add shallow fried potatoes,shallots and garlic cloves in to gravy and garam masala and salt to taste (I have already added little salt in to marinated potatoes)
- Cover the pan for 8-10 minutes or let the gravy come to boil.
- Now garnish it with chopped cilantro.
- Serve it with garam phulka ,parantha or pulao .